Integrated PR and Social Media – Bitdefender (Consumer)
An off and online campaign strategy to highlight the concerns and precautions of cybercrime.
Bitdefender, an award winning creator of internationally certified internet security software, partnered with Media Safari for a PR and social media campaign. The objective was to educate IT professionals and technology media; to engage tech savvy communities in discussion; plus to stimulate a viral spread of information relating to virus alerts and issues of cybercrime.
Check out Media Safari’s Vox Pops on internet security on YouTube or learn how this campaign was a CIPR 2011 PRide gold award winner in the ‘Best Use of Social Media‘ category.
The campaign theme ‘Bitdefending The Nation’ evoked a sense of a nation under attack from cyber criminals, viruses and malware. The strategy involved highly proactive PR and digital / social media relations activity supported by a content marketing plan to reach key influencers.
The campaign tactics included:
- Press releases – for traditional print, radio and broadcast press; plus keyword optimised versions for web media targets to enhance SEO
- Media hijacks – seizing on macro topics from the media and industry landscape, feeding into Bitdefender content and security lab teams and responding with tailored comments for press
- Twitter – management of www.twitter.com/ukbitdefender using wide range of tweets, retweets [RT], @mentions and #hashtags to engage targets and encourage follower growth
- Blogger outreach – engagement with key technology bloggers with insightful suggestions for content based on their own interests and recent posts
- Facebook – initially managed www.facebook.com/bitdefender involving regular posts of lively content and competitions to support the global campaign
Overall campaign assisted in generating a 300% uplift in web traffic to Bitdefender UK web pages with an average conversion of 7% to sales.
Tactical results included:
- Average of 20 online cuttingsper month building closer ties with tech media and tech bloggers – 12 further pieces per month generated as a result of proactive commentary or content suggestions
- Increase in Twitter followers to 2,501 in 12 months – 208 average per month
- 1,131 tweets at an average of 5 per day over life of campaign
- 2390 RTs by core targets demonstrating engagement and the viral effect of Twitter
- Engagement with the Blogosphere forged relationships resulting in 61 blog inclusions and 4 sponsored conversation secured
- UK Facebook contributed significantly to the 84,740 ‘Likes’ on BitDefender’s global Facebook page [UK statistics no longer available]
- Online sentiment trackers Techrigy & Ubervu used to monitor response moving from NEUTRAL to MOSTLY or EXTREMELY POSITIVE