Real life consumer health case studies – Siemens Hearing Instruments
The ‘Live Out Loud’ PR campaign to challenge the stigma of hearing loss used real life video case studies, professional commentary from audiologists, trade and technical press releases and timely media hijacks to build consumer and trade media presence.
One in six people in the UK have a hearing loss. This primarily affects over 50s but is not exclusive to this age group as many young people suffer from the condition without knowing it. The wearing of a hearing aid carrying an old age stigma was identified as part of the problem and has led to low uptake of hearing instruments.
Media Safari was tasked to keep the existing range of hearing devices front of mind and launch a new and groundbreaking product ‘Aquaris’ into the audiology trade retail and NHS marketplace. Media Safari also needed to educate and inform the lay audiences about solutions available and how to look after hearing health. The key message to communicate was that you can live out loud despite having hearing loss.
- To maintain the profile of Siemens Hearing Instruments as a leading manufacturer of hearing solutions
- To assist in overturning the ‘old person’ stigma associated with hearing loss
- To sustain high brand awareness via regular press coverage in trade audiology and healthcare media
- To stimulate NHS contracts and retail stockist enquiries
- To gain consumer media hits (e.g. national and consumer lifestyle) to stimulate sales enquiries in retail channels
- To launch the world’s first fully waterproof, shockproof and dustproof hearing instrument ‘Aquaris’
- To promote an active lifestyle despite hearing loss
The two different healthcare media sectors – trade and consumer – meant that different approaches were needed to communicate messages and gain media coverage. A mixed media relations strategy was therefore needed. Technical information on the products could be gained from Siemens’ audiology team for the trade push, and Media Safari advocated the use of real life case studies to provide commentary on benefits for consumer targeting.
- Press releases on trade and technical innovations developed for trade media targets
- Feature commentary developed on how innovations will benefits hospitals and ultimately the patient for trade targeting and hearing health advice for consumer media targeting
- Real life case studies for pre-written commentary or telephone interviews in consumer audiences to illustrate benefits to daily life
- A 4-minute video testimonial featuring Kirsty Swain was produced by Media Safari and pushed out alongside the product launch
- Regular Media hijacks by responding to topical hearing health issues early in the news day with Siemens’ soundbites
- Pictures to illustrate the small size of hearing devices and of people undertaking active lifestyles.
- Contract KPIs exceeded – 78 pieces of trade, 56 consumer coverage
- Trade coverage was included in every issue of the key audiology titles of ENT News and Audio Infos
- Consumer coverage hits included high circulation titles such as Mail on Sunday, Metro, FHM and Yours
- Total coverage opportunities to see Siemens name and solutions over 15 million
- Advertising equivalent value exceeded £168,000 – many more times the PR budget investment
- Kirsty Swain Aquaris video had over 1,900 views in 5 months
- Aquaris coverage mentioned that Aquaris was waterproof (82%) and sweat-proof (75%) and 92% of all coverage promoted an active lifestyle
- The 2011-12 coverage reached titles that had previously never been hit before including the water / sports press and regional press titles